Crane Festival takes place every year at the end of every July for 3 days to
secure protection habitats and water, wetland of globally and nationally
endangered White-naped crane, improve understanding of local communities,
strengthen local protection of threatened birds in Khurkh-Khuiten valley with
collaboration of locals and develop tourism in this region. The event organized
by International Crane Fund and Wildlife Conservation Society and Support of
the Ministry of Environment and Tourism office of Khentii province.
the Crane Festival the following events takes place:
- Giving information about Khurkh-Khuiten
valley, the habitat of White-naped crane, promoting its importance.
- Teaching lessons about traditional
conservation practice how to protect eggs of White-naped crane and other birds
and how to protect the nests and eggs of cranes.
- Promoting value and importance of
protecting water and wetland, the habitat of birds to locals. Discussion with
local communities how they can make contribution by collaborating.
- Meeting to exchange views on possibilities
to develop tourism based on Khurkh-Khuiten valley.
lectures, trainings and experimental tours organized during “The Crane
- Traditional music and dance performance
for opening ceremony
- “Crane” eco training for children
- Training for rangers
- Crane watching tour
- Water birds watching tour
- Forest birds watching tour
- Bird ringing activity
- Presentation of law and regulations on
- Presentation of traditional conservation
- Documentary film about migration of Cranes
and others birds and how they breed in this region making tough journey
- Lecture about different species of Cranes
- Educational competition about birds
- “Besreg Naadam” or festival displays
national wrestling, archery, horse racing, anklebone shooting and couple riders
competition /2 years old horse/ for closing ceremony
- Hand craft and souvenir exhibition
participate in this festival and plan your trip itinerary at the end of July.